XML2PO is weird!

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Sun Mar 5 07:59:25 UTC 2006

It seems that xml2po(1) will sometimes expand entities and will
sometimes _not_ expand entities.  There is a "-k" or a
"--keep-entities" that claims "Don't expand entities", but it lies.
Evidently there is a fallback mode in xml2po(1) where *all* entities
are expanded.  I know there is an "-e" or "--expand-all-entities"
switch, but I'm not using it.

For example, generate a .POT file:

$ cd example-tutorial
$ xml2po -o the.pot en_US/example-tutorial.xml

and then apply it (UNCHANGED!) against the original XML file using
various combinations of "-e", "-k" and no switches at all:

$ xml2po -o junk-e.xml -e -p the.pot en_US/example-tutorial.xml
$ xml2po -o junk-k.xml -k -p the.pot en_US/example-tutorial.xml
$ xml2po -o junk-plain.xml    the.pot en_US/example-tutorial.xml

and then compare the files using diff(1).  There are NO differences.

Anybody care to explain?  Or suggest a work-around?

--
I'm already an anomaly, I shall soon be an anachronism, and I have
every intention of dying an abuse!