Re: Documentation build scripts

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 13:18 -0600, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered "Gavin Henry" <ghenry suretecsystems com>, spake thus:
>
> > <quote who="Rahul Sundaram">
> > > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-March/msg00043.html
> > Very nice PDFs. If we can get something like that, that would be cool.
> > They must use the Sun JAVA?
>
> This uses Apache FOP as the PDF rendering engine.

Yes, with a few exceptions the FOP output is very nice.  I agree they
must be using a proprietary JVM to compile FOP, although the article
mentions they did try gcj and had some performance concerns.  I was
going to look into that.

> However, it *does* come with a customized XSLT stylesheet that we
> could use.  The PDF stylesheet in "docs-common/xsl" has not been
> altered since its import many, many moons ago.
>
> I'll look at updating the PDF stylesheet, then.

Agreed.  It is derived from Norm Walsh's XSL.  It is rather customized,
but we could use that as a reference or starting point.  The XSL as-is
is probably better for FOP than what we have right now. :)

- Karsten
Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject