Project barriers (was Re: Self-Introduction: Chris Savage)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 18:27:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 09:55 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> What would be nice, and I have no idea if it is feasible, is to have a
> route to just-Wiki that is almost like a click-through CLA.  But is that
> advisable?  Enforceable?  How do you prove that the person who agreed to
> the CLA is anyone in particular?  It could have been a friend, "Just
> click through this, you need that to get the EditGroup permissions."

I think you may have answered your own question here.  If you want an
agreement to be legally binding and enforceable, you have to be able to
prove that both parties entered into it.

> Click-throughs are passive, people can do them without thought.  The
> sign-the-CLA-with-GPG is active.

But I agree that GPG signing emails is just frills compared with the
CLA.  No reason people should go through that pain if they don't care.
I've been using PGP/GPG so long that I don't, but it's obviously a
significant barrier to some people, and since it's not necessary outside
the CLA, we should remove or demote it like you said.  My ~$0.02.