Re: cvs - error / help + more

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 08:26, "Adam Moreland" <journo_bouy hotmail co uk>
wrote:
> Hey again
>
> I have been trying to also see what to do from here:
> http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/docs/
>
> and it went wrong and here is output:
> [root localhost adam_laura]#  export
> CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous cvs fedora redhat com:/cvs/docs

This is for anonymous access.  The process and settings are not compatible
with using your Fedora account.  Also, you should not be running as root.
This is a BAD practice.  It puts your system at unnecessary risk, and sharing
the root account, even with family, is even worse.  Set up a regular user
account and use it instead.  When you need to perform a system-wide function,
use 'su' or 'sudo'.  You may need to move or recreate your SSH and GPG keys
in that new account.  Some Fedora services, including the #fedora IRC
channel, already ban users who are running as root, and other services may
add that security measure in the future.

> [root localhost adam_laura]# export
> CVSROOT=:pserver:manix cvs fedora redhat com:/cvs/docs

This is where your problem is.  You need to use :ext:, not :pserver:.  The
pserver method will only work for anonymous access.  The ext method must be
used with your Fedora account.

Make sure that you correct your CVSROOT and specify SSH as the transport:

export CVS_RSH=ssh
export CVSROOT=:ext:manix cvs fedora redhat com:/cvs/docs

Your account is otherwise set up properly, so you should then be able to start
checking out modules.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 n-man com