what next?

Sam Folk-Williams samfw at redhat.com
Tue Nov 7 14:09:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 05:58 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 20:28 +0100, Bela Pesics wrote:
>
> > Pretty nice examples, consider the structure of these as well:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
>
> Ah, good ol' DocBook XML, how nice it is for making books. :)
>
> > I can also imagine using http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/ for something. I
> > am curious if the referenced materials could be used to put together a
> > handbook without double efforts in a efficient way.
>
> None of that content is directly relevant to Fedora; to make it relevant
> either requires a user who can make the mental switches, or a writer who
> edits the content to make it fit.  Also, I don't think that content is
> licensed for us to use in any way other than to read it.
>
> But ... hmm ... there has been discussion in the past of having a
> kbase.fedoraproject.org that is a stand-alone knowledgebase.  If we
> opened it to all Fedora account holders and had kbase articles queued
> for this team to edit (part of a workflow), maybe we could build up
> something very useful.  I could see many discussions on e.g. fedora-list
> or fedoraforum.org being worth migrating into a kbase article.

+1 on this. I would really like to see a kbase for Fedora. I think it's
an excellent way to organize a large number of targeted how-to articles.
It can also be a lot easier for a contributor to write a brief kbase
than to get involved with a larger "guide" type of document. Then, guide
writers can pull from the kbase for ideas as well.