A Modest Proposal for a New Guide

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 08:47:23 UTC 2006

Fedora Docs Team Members:

One area which appears to be overlooked is the installation and
updating of software by the novice user. Various sections exist (such
as the excellent one on yum - see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum),
but there is no "gentle introduction" for the person new to Fedora Core.

According to the Documentation Summary section of the Desktop User Guide:

<quote>

*Assumptions:* The reader has a standard Desktop class installation of
Fedora.
The reader has a user account with the default settings.The reader does *not
*
have access to the *root* password.

*Related Documents*: The
AdministrationGuide<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/AdministrationGuide>documents
tasks that require
*root* access. The
GettingStartedGuide<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/GettingStartedGuide>is
a general introduction to using Fedora.
Each desktop application has integrated Help, so the scope of this document
may need to be considered carefully.

<end-quote>
I agree with the DUG assumption not requiring the novice user to have access
to the root password. This keeps the DUG focused on the basics.

However, a quick review of the Administration Guide reveals no section on
the
installation and updating of packages.

The Getting Started Guide has the following section:

<quote>
Cool Things To Do with Fedora

Everything above gives users equivalents to a standard Windows desktop that
they have seen before. What cool things can new users try with a Fedora
system that take them further ?

   -

   LinPhone <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LinPhone> - demonstrates
   installing from Extras, and free phone calls. Requires: headset.
   -

   GnuCash <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GnuCash> - installs from Core,
   home finance software isn't cool, but is important.

<end-quote>

However, the links for installing LinPhone and GnuCash don't link to
existing pages.

A MODEST PROPOSAL

Therefore, I propose a separate Installing and Updating Software Guide aimed
at the beginning Fedora Core user.  I volunteer to write and edit the guide
and
welcome any and all contributions and suggestions. (That includes a better
name for this guide). We would start from the Fedora Core 6 release.

This assumes, of course, that I get the "go ahead" from the Powers That Be.

PROPOSED OUTLINE FOR THE IAUSG

These would be the assumptions for the Installing and Updating Software
Guide:

*Assumptions:* The reader has a standard Desktop class installation of
Fedora.
The reader has a user account with the default settings.The reader **hasaccess
to the *root* password. The reader has access to the internet (preferably
broadband).
The reader does not have a degree in Computer Science.

We need to give some background information and provide concepts and details
as required.

As suggested by the Getting Started Guide, we can demonstrate different
classes of
installs, such as from the Core and Extras repositories.

We should also demonstrate different methods of installing packages,
going from the simplest to the more complex.

1. Install a package like xmms using Pirut. (Perhaps xmms with fluendo?)

2. Install Yumex via Pirut, and then install (perhaps a game) via yumex.

3. Use rpm from the CLI to view a list installed packages (no root password
required).

4. Use rpm to install a locally available package (root password required).

5. Use yum to install a package from an internet repository.

6. Use yum to provide various reports.

7. Use yum to do a group-level installation, such as a complete KDE
    desktop installation.

8. More advanced topics:
   a. Using smart.
   b. Using apt-get.
   c. Using yum at installation time via the new anaconda feature.

Likewise, we should cover the topic of updating packages in a similar
progression from the simple to the advanced.

1. Update packages using Pirut.

2. Update using Yumex.

3. Update using yum from the CLI.

4. Selectively update using yum (including/excluding packages
    and disabling/enabling repositories).

5. More advanced topics:
   a. Do a complete Fedora Core release upgrade (I actually have done
       this successfully on a laptop with a bad CD drive and broadband
       internet access.)

FURTHER READING (RELATED DOCUMENTS)

As always, we should provide pointers to good links, both inside and
outside of the Fedora Core wiki.

FLOSS AND COTS PACKAGES

Additionally, we should stick with FLOSS software and avoid packages
which violate the GPL. At the same time, we should remember that there
are legal, commercially available packages which can be covered in
general terms. Most of these commercial-off the-shelf (COTS) packages
come with detailed instructions and/or installation scripts, so this
section can be short.

This guide should follow the guidelines and policies for the Fedora
Core wiki concerning "forbidden items" (not my favorite term). See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems.
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems>

(Aside: Maybe we can come up with a less harsh-sounding phrase than
"forbidden items".)

In conclusion, ala Rod Serling's Twilight Zone, this is submitted "for your
consideration."
John Babich