A Modest Proposal for a New Guide

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 20:08:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 09:26 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> What I suggest is this:
>
> 1. Write up a brand new guide "What is a desktop and how do I use
> one" (or something like that);
> 2. Pair that guide with a glossary[2] that has:
>    i. Links to other glossaries so we don't have to spend our time
> maintaining a document of "What does login mean"
>    ii. Provides definitions for terms unique to Fedora, Linux, and FLOSS
> 3. Have the new "What is a desktop" guide linked from the intro for all
> guides that are for new/beginning users.
>
> Then we can have all guides say, "You need to know the material covered
> in X, Y, and Z."  X, Y, and Z are then a set of guides that provide a
> base of common understanding that we can rely upon for the rest of the
> guide.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> - Karsten
> [2] http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/jargon-buster/ and it needs updating

Bugs gratefully accepted.  A bug filed against Fedora Documentation,
jargon-buster can include as little as a list of terms.  I'm happy to
write the definitions.  If a bug-filer wants to provide a definition for
my use, that also makes me smile. :-)  See? Smiling already!

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora
+Documentation&component=jargon-buster&version=devel