Lest anyone think we're alone...

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 06:24:57 UTC 2006

On 11/26/06, George Ganoe <geoganoe at cox.net> wrote:

> For instance, Ubuntu has made a concerted effort to provide as
> complete a desktop environment as possible on a single CDROM disk.  If
> they were to put KDE as well as Gnome on the disk, something else would
> have to go.  Since KDE and Gnome serve the same function, they made a
> choice, and with many other applications with multiple selections, they
> made choices there as well.  But in the end, they were able to create
> a very complete desktop environment and put it on a single CD.  If the
> user wants to add KDE, they can select it for install in the "Synaptic
> Package Manager" and get a very complete KDE desktop very easily, or
> use the command line and type "sudo apt-get install kde" to get the same
> thing.

I certainly agree with you that a single CD does not allow for every possible
choice. The selection of software packages will always leave some users
unhappy that their favorite application was left out. That's where the value of
apt-get and yum installs comes into play.

> I find it hard to believe that giving someone who is having trouble with
> his Windows machine and wanting to try something else, a single CD that
> provides him with an environment he can play around with and install if
> he likes it, will turn people away from Linux.  On the contrary, I believe
> it gives many people an easy path to entering into the Linux world.

That's why including a live CD in the standard downloads is such a high
priority with the Fedora Project.

John Babich