[Fwd: [Fedora-marketing-list] idea on explaining the mp3 question]

Sam Folk-Williams samfw at redhat.com
Mon Oct 2 18:29:12 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 19:21 +0100, Dimitrios Glezos wrote:

> I agree that we should fix the FP web page so that it can be more
> eye-catching and usable and that we should try as much as possible to
> have a consistent attitude about our resources and information. I'll try
> to submit some suggestions for wiki CSS changes

This sounds great. I tried to play around with it but I'm not of much
use with making things look nice .

> On the other hand, at some points there are clearly different targets
> and a one-size-fits-all approach, even though more maintainable, can
> only be *less* usable for the end user. The Fedora homepage should, for
> example, be an entry point for many people (users, developers,
> journalists) to the Fedora Project. The user's browser splash page
> should be an entry point for the user (one) to the use of his (own)
> desktop and the Internet. Another difference could be that the tips
> showing in the browser splash page should be tips for a smooth system
> operation and desktop use while tips in FP homepage could contain tips
> for the Fedora Project, it's groups etc.
>
> So, I see it as an aggregation, not as content duplication. This need
> for personal content aggregation is also shown from the customized
> homepages Google and other providers provide.

I definitely see this side of it as well. The local homepage and the
fp.o homepage could both serve unique purposes without too much
duplication. But, we could/should use the same CSS/design work for both
pages.