splash page + tracking image example

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Oct 5 00:03:30 UTC 2006

> Can we use something more visually appealing than a small blue dot.
> Perhaps the Fedora logo itself would be more appropriate?

Sure.  We just need it to be in a unique location hit only by this page;
I'll get that done.

> Also the title
> there should probably be "Counting Fedora Desktop Users". Tracking seems
> to imply a more continuous activity rather than effectively a one time
> hit counter.

OK, thx.

> The sentence "Don't worry about multiple counts, shared IP addresses,
> and so forth" implies that multiple counts would be distort data while
> it would not. We just need to uniquely sort it by IP addresses.

We are talking to people who wouldn't get that and would worry about
multiple hits.  People who think a rolling page hit counter has meaning.

> The last sentence about funding seems to add to the confusion rather
> than help clarify it. I would advise dropping that. Maybe we should add
> a sentence last that says "If you are not online and do not wish to be
> counted, you can simply change this homepage".

I thought we were trying for clarity and honesty in the message?
Everything I read in the thread so far boils down to, "We need this to
justify (more) money, and that is the primary importance over all other
considerations at this time."

Counting users to make better decisions is obfuscation talk.  How does a
raw user count make better decisions?  You'd need to know some depth
about those users to have it influence decisions.

Perhaps we can soften the blow better than I did, but if we're being
honest, we have to be honest *and* clear.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project