PDF version of docs/guides

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 20:12:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 19:38 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> So, suggestions: First fix the PDF-creation problems and having a goal in the
> back of our minds to create a nice printable PDF with the most useful guides
> bundled together (installation, desktop, administration, FAQ and Troubleshoot)?
>
> Last discussions I found about PDFs are the following:
>
>  * http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2006-March/msg00145.html
>  * http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2006-January/msg00179.html
>
> Any thoughts about this? Suggestions, steps, problems, blah?

It looks like PDF building works somewhat on some docs right now, in
that it produces an actual loadable PDF, which looks... well, not great.
The stylesheet is apparently terrible, and breaks pages for subsections
in weird places.  If you want to take up this particular challenge, you
sure have my blessing (and good-luck wishes!).  I know Apache FOP was a
contender but we need it to work using GCJ to consider it seriously,
since we need a 100% free tool stack.