[Fwd: [Fedora Project Wiki] Update of "Docs/Beats/Extras" by DavidWoodhouse]

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Thu Sep 14 13:44:36 UTC 2006

O/H Karsten Wade έγραψε:
> On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 17:57 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> Not sure how we want to treat this... The Release Notes are explicitly
>> about Fedora Core, and not Extras.
>
> Perhaps we want to rethink that.  Since we tout that "with Yum in
> Anaconda, it is all the same now," we might have to treat the relnotes
> the same way.  I know that, by being on the system and all that, there
> is an implicit connection between relnotes and installed system, but
> with the lines blurring in the installation side, we need to consider
> how to deal with it on the notes side.

+1. I had similar concerns for the Browser splash page text.

> One advantage of actually have the Docs/Beats/Extras section is that any
> number of new pages could be added in that namespace.  We then get a
> bunch of organized, useful, Extras release notes.
>
> Personally, I'm curious to see where this takes us.  I was surprised at
> the attention of Extras in the notes, and am curious what would happen
> if we encourage Extras maintainers to use The Release Notes as their
> release notes, too.

Some probably off-topic thoughts, worth mentioning follow.

I think that the first thing we should do after FC6 is to think about if we need
to reorganize our docs.

Yesterday a friend upgraded from FC2 and couldn't start the system up, without
knowing why. It turned up to be SELinux needing a `fixfiles` command. Neither
the wiki at DistributionUpgrading, nor the FAQ, Installation guide or the
release notes had anything about it. It was mentioned in SELinux FAQ, which, of
course, he didn't read.

So, in which of the above documents *should* it be mentioned really? :)

I am starting to believe that the best thing that we could do is next time to
combine everything to something like a "Fedora handbook, version 7": Relnotes,
installation, desktop, administration guides, FAQ etc. And most importantly, it
needs to be printable.

If we escape from the "core release notes" and independent between them docs, I
believe we can achieve great things, like good permanent reference points in
between chapters, higher level of localization etc. Now with the wiki->xml tool,
this will be easier to maintain.

-dim

--
Dimitris Glezos