[Fwd: [Fedora Project Wiki] Update of "Docs/Beats/Extras" by DavidWoodhouse]

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Sep 15 09:11:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 14:44 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:

> I think that the first thing we should do after FC6 is to think about if we need
> to reorganize our docs.

Definitely an idea always worth discussing. :)

> Yesterday a friend upgraded from FC2 and couldn't start the system up, without
> knowing why. It turned up to be SELinux needing a `fixfiles` command. Neither
> the wiki at DistributionUpgrading, nor the FAQ, Installation guide or the
> release notes had anything about it. It was mentioned in SELinux FAQ, which, of
> course, he didn't read.
>
> So, in which of the above documents *should* it be mentioned really? :)
>
> I am starting to believe that the best thing that we could do is next time to
> combine everything to something like a "Fedora handbook, version 7": Relnotes,
> installation, desktop, administration guides, FAQ etc.

I'll provide the standard caveat this project has had since the
beginning:

It is significant work to maintain a full-size guide.

It could be done in a modular way, and that is what we've been doing,
working to build up the pieces that could be an All-In-One Guide.

One positive to this approach is, an All-In-One Guide is far more
interesting output for one's work than, for example, "How To Configure
Printers" ... all work is done with the same contribution of a printer
how-to, but the result is a whole that is greater than the sum of its
parts.

One negative is that such a guide requires a quantity of contributors
that this project has yet to provide.  Seven to ten very interested,
hard working people plus regular contributors, all of whom have to be
dedicated to keeping the content alive.  All of whom could see their
work being published.  So, this negative points to the potential
positives. :)

> And most importantly, it
> needs to be printable.

See the other thread about FOP and gcjclasspath; we can help move down
this route to PDF production.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project