Icon extractor for linux apps

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 15:45:26 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 16:19 +0300, John Babich wrote:
> I am trying to upload icons to the wiki to add illustrations to the
> Desktop Users Guide.
> I am having trouble finding icons for several applications such as
> Evolution. I even
> downloaded the source in an attempt to locate the icons.
>
> Does any one know of a linux utility that extracts embedded icons from
> a linux
> application? I know of several such utilities for Windows.
>
> If such a utility doesn't exist, is there an alternate method to
> achieve the same results.

Hi John,

I think most of these icons are in /usr/share/icons/gnome.  A few
different sizes are available so you can use larger, more easily
readable versions in your docs.  For instance:

$ cd /usr/share/icons/gnome
$ find -type f | grep send
./24x24/stock/generic/stock_send-fax.png
./24x24/stock/net/stock_mail-send.png
./24x24/stock/net/stock_mail-send-receive.png
./16x16/stock/generic/stock_send-fax.png
./16x16/stock/net/stock_mail-send.png
./16x16/stock/net/stock_mail-send-receive.png
./32x32/stock/net/stock_mail-send.png
./32x32/stock/net/stock_mail-send-receive.png
./48x48/stock/net/stock_mail-send.png
./48x48/stock/net/stock_mail-send-receive.png

Most GTK and GNOME applications draw their icons from a common pool to
prevent each application from having to package its own, and to promote
common theming.