DocsProject common entities -- problem with translations?

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Wed Apr 4 20:03:07 UTC 2007

Hi all.

The Docs Project is thinking of substituting entities like "Fedora 7" in all
documentation with "&FC;", so that these entities won't change with each
upgrade. For example, now we have in the PO:

  This paragraph is about Fedora.

The change will make this:

 This paragraph is about &FED;.

Is there any language that would have a problem with this? One such problem
would be languages which change nouns ("Fedora") in different types of
sentences, for example:

 * "This is Fedora"
 * "These features of Fedora"
 * "Burn Fedora on a CD"

In greek we've left these untranslated and we won't have a problem. What about
other languages? Is everyone OK with this?

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/