Re: DocsProject common entities -- problem with translations?

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 15:22 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> So it sounds like we will have annoyances no matter which choice we
> make:
>
> 1.  Using "xml2po -k" and keeping entities intact like &NAME; there are
> translators who will be inconvenienced.  They can still substitute
> translations for the entity -- using the right form of "SomeName,"
> instead of the exact string "&NAME;" -- but there will be no benefit to
> them in the event the entity changes.  They may not even notice that it
> *has* changed unless they are watching the
> docs-common/common/entities/po/entities.pot file, and making the mental
> connection.
>
> 2.  Using "xml2po -e" and transforming the entities into strings in the
> POT file, so "&NAME;" becomes "SomeName," it will be painful to change
> single strings in a minor way, since *many* fuzzy entries potentially
> result from trivial changes.
>
> We can revert to behavior #2, and I can get this into the POTs for
> important modules now.  I would like opinions within the next 24 hours.

Vote for "-e" here, if entities are left "as is".

However, if entities are only version numbers, files and possibly
trademarks ("Fedora" and "Red Hat Inc."), I could support "-k" as well
(as long it does not include name of projects).

Regards,
Igor