The Great Content Migration

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 18:48:46 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 10:19 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 12:16 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Not really, I guess.  We should also note that there are Plone modules
> > available for wiki functionality if they're really needed, although
> > honestly the Plone document writing tools are as easy and inviting as
> > the wiki tools, only better.  I have no idea what the ETA of the new
> > workflow stuff is.
>
> The part you aren't considering is that the Docs workflow is access
> controlled.  Just anyone cannot drop in and work on it without going
> through the join-the-project steps.  The wiki is different, culturally
> and programmatically.
>
> I'd suspect that most on-team writers would stop using the wiki, but we
> still need to be open for contributions from the entirety of the Fedora
> Project in places such as Docs/Beats/.
>
> The fact is, there are going to be some docs that will never leave the
> wiki because the subject matter expert doesn't want to work on it in
> another location.  *Maybe* we can get them to work it as a normal
> workflow Plone document, but not likely to get that xhtml => xml-in-SCM
> that our custom workflow is for.

Is it possible, even with our workflow, to allow the community to edit
something in Plone under Docs/Beats (or whatever namespace this
becomes), without the changes immediately being published?  This is a
question to which maybe we don't know the answer.  I would love someone
Plone-knowledgeable to explain it without launching into undefined
jargon.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/