DUG

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 06:19:54 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 14:54 +0900, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> > Does installing from a DVD automatically enable the DVD as a repo?  I
> > honestly don't know, since I haven't used a DVD to install in a very
> > long time.  The act of updating a system is one area I would say
> > deserves attention in the DUG and the AG.  That area of overlap, to me,
> > would be understandable.
> >
> I would assume it does since on the fedoraforum there was a severe
> amount of complaints about having to put a cd/dvd.

Before documenting it, whoever is writing that section should definitely
confirm the behavior first.

> The purpose of it is a feature since you can now upgrade the fedora version
> using yum and a dvd which is a huge plus.  The problem arises is that the
> cd/dvd repo itself is usually enabled by default after this.
>
> An update fails because it can't find the cd/dvd repo since your cd/dvd
> is not in the drive so it can't find it so the update fails.
> That is possibly a bug however I'm not sure of the status of that bug or
> even if it is considered a bug.
>
> The simplest method to fix it is disabling the repo and then voila
> yum-updatesd works by default updating the software.
>
> I hope thats clear because I personally have never experienced it
> since I've always just used yum upgrade and edited the config files manually.

It is clear, but editing the configuration files manually is not the
appropriate solution for the DUG.  Instead, the documentation should
indicate how the desktop user can use the Edit Repositories option in
pup and pirut.  Again, focus on ease of use and GUI desktop usage
wherever possible.

> > > You need to set up file-sharing which I would call desktop capability a
> > > server set up would be an administration part.  I'm not trying to be
> > > pedantic but maybe my definition of desktop to administrator is
> > > different.
> >
> > Setting up file sharing in the DUG is using System -> Preferences ->
> > Network -> Personal File Sharing.  Anything beyond that is AG material.
> >

> Has anyone got that to work?  I've never actually got it to function
> properly.

It works if the firewall is disabled.  This is not ideal, and I would
call this a bug unless both of us are doing something very wrong.  I
thought one of the points of ConsoleKit was to be able to punch a hole
in the firewall for personal files sharing.  In the meantime, I would
simply document the behavior indicating that the user should consult the
AG for firewall configuration info.

> I've got a lot of questions like this which is the essence of the
> original email.  Can we put together a list of what topics should be
> covered and to what limits each category should move to. Then we have a
> target to move towards?

Unfortunately I don't have the cycles to do it, but you are welcome and
encouraged to start such a list, and float it to the mailing list for
discussion.  I think that's a very thoughtful process, and I'm sure
others will pitch in their ideas.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/