Dug contents

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Dec 12 13:57:11 UTC 2007

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 19:03 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:

>>> We called out this type of page as being an exception to the rule.  It
>>> is useful to show the pieces of the desktop when describing how it all
>>> works.  This use to be how the GNOME intro was handled, but it looks as
>>> if those were removed.
>>>
>>> Sorry about the confusion; let's see if this clears it up, then I can
>>> update the appropriate StyleGuide pages.
>>>
>>> For example, imagine a section in a document that explains how to use a
>>> mouse.  It would be useful to show a picture of the mouse icons and
>>> explain what they mean -- the arrow, the clicking HTML hand, the timer,
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> When that document section gets to explaining about the mouse
>>> preferences dialog, there is no need to show the GUI; explaining it is
>>> better, for the reasons you allude to about pictures being harder to
>>> deal with in many ways.
>>>
>>> If the section was on "understanding GUI elements" then you would
>>> certainly show GUI elements in explaining.
>>>
>>> In this way, the images work as simple diagrams.  A diagram is something
>>> useful in a document, where a screenshot often is more trouble than it
>>> is worth.
>>>
>> I wonder if we should try and trim this section down to a minimum --
>> there is an entire GNOME (or KDE, if KDE is installed) Desktop User
>> Guide already installed on the system.  The DUG would need to explain
>> enough for the user to be able to use input devices -- mouse *and*
>> keyboard, remember not everyone has or can use a mouse -- to locate the
>> menu, choose System > Help, and select the Desktop User Guide (or
>> equivalent KDE doc).  The GNOME DUG is exceptional and rewriting it
>> seems redundant.
>>

> Maybe in the KDE, XFCE and Gnome section the basic settings such as
> keyboard, screen resolution, mouse, sound  and keyboard shortcuts should
> be added to each to show users where to go?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marc

    I am so new to Help I had no idea what a Dug was. This message let
me figure out it is the Desktop User Guide. Before that I had no idea.
Now at least I can get to the Dug and comment on it.

    I like all the Help that is on the computer. I dislike Help that
causes the web browser to be sent to a particular web page.  The Help
you need may include how to get ON the Internet :-)

    You need to know it exists to find Dug. It is sort of a Gnome Help.
What about the guys using KDE?

    In any case it appears I have some reading ahead to learn what
exists now.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI