Desktop User Guide

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 03:52:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 02:36 +0000, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> O/H Timothy Murphy έγραψε:
> >>
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/DesktopUserGuide
> >
> > I just wonder why it is called a _desktop_ user guide,
> > since as far as I could see all the sections would apply
> > equally well to a laptop.
>
> Heh, good point in the context of hardware; this "desktop" refers to the desktop
> as a software; that is, the guide does not include documentation for
> command-line or server stuff. In the same context, the new Fedora 7 will have a
> "Desktop" version, meant for users having a PC rather than a server.
>
> Hey, now that I come to think about it, maybe "Fedora 7 (PC)" would be better
> than "desktop"? :)

Except that "PC" is often used colloquially to mean "i386 architecture."
You're right about the "Desktop" usage here.  I think it's unlikely
people will differentiate the "Desktop" in this usage as being separate
and distinct from a "Laptop."  Our other choices come down to things
like "Beginning Users Guide," but that is a bad choice because people
don't like to classify themselves as being beginners.  "Quick Start
Guide" would be OK except for the fact that the DUG is too long to fit
into that category either.  So "DUG" is probably best for now.  We can
re-evaluate after we get some community feedback, which is probably more
likely after publication.