Fedora 7 Test 1 and release notes

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 15:55:01 UTC 2007

> Hi
>
> Some strong notes here:
>
> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070205#news
>
> A followup comment #72 by the author (CC'ed) reveals that the primary
> concern is over lack of release notes.
>
> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070205&mode=16#comments
>
> Of course with our level of resources doing full fledged releases notes
> and translation for a test 1 release of a fast moving distribution like
> Fedora is not easily done. I was traveling to FUDCon Boston 2007
> finalized and unfortunately didnt have any time to work on the release
> notes but this shouldnt be resting on me entirely. However a single page
> overview or some notes within the announcements itself wouldnt take much
> time.

Yes, a substantial percentage of those who have been carrying the
relnotes load were also en route.  A one-pager sounds like the right
balance, but the problem also exists that we do not want to introduce
any load on the L10N program until test3, so that translators are not
dealing with large numbers of changed strings over the frenzy of
development that happens between test1 and test3.  Therefore we should
probably mention *IN* the release notes one-pager why, exactly, it is
not being translated, and when translations can be expected.

As test1 is normally a time when we take a very rough snapshot of where
we're going, with many things still to shake out from all perspectives,
I think it's unreasonable to expect much relnotes content there.  But
having a note to that effect would be useful.  That content, once
written, could be usable for every test1 (or even test2) release.

Bob Jensen has been holding the position of Editor in Chief for the
Release Notes.  Bob, are you going to handle this initiative, then?

> It would also be good to link to our QA efforts and release process like
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/7/Test1TreeTesting to avoid the
> impressions of a lack minute rush up job. The more transparent we are
> with our development efforts, the better we would be at avoiding
> misconceptions.

Sure, that could be part of the one-page content.