Install Guide strings for Figure, Chapter, Section etc.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 15:08:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 09:47 -0500, Igor Miletic wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 09:25 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 09:10 -0500, Igor Miletic wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Does anyone know where can I find strings for words Figure, Chapter and
> > > Section to translate in Install Guide? They are not in main po file and
> > > I was not able to find them in docs-common.
> > >
> > > Another question. Are there plans to create po files for DUG? It looks
> > > very useful for beginners and it would be nice if it was available for
> > > translation.
> >
> > Igor,
> >
> > You shouldn't translate those strings, if they occur inside XML tags,
> > like "<figure>" or "</section>".  Those are DocBook XML markers and are
> > only used to mark elements of content, and don't appear in the
> > translated versions.  If I've completely missed your point, please let
> > me know!
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for quick reply.
> I guess I was not clear. I was not asking for xml tags to translate, I
> was thinking of captions for figures, sections and chapters (i.e.
> "Figure 7.7. HTTP Setup Dialog" or "Chapter 7. Installation Methods").
>
> While po file for Install Guide contains strings "HTTP Setup Dialog" and
> "Installation Methods" for translation, I could not find strings
> "Figure" and "Chapter". Funny part is that I actually translated those
> strings somewhere, but I made mistake when I did it, and now I can not
> find it anymore :).

Ah, I understand now!  Those are generated automatically at build time
by the DocBook XSLT, and not under our control.  If they are missing a
translation, you might need to make contact with the DocBook maintainers
(http://www.docbook.org is probably a good place to start).  Thanks for
setting me straight.