Publication of all man and info pages through a web interface for each release (current status)

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 16:20:16 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 23:20 +0530, ria das wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following link will give the current status of my SoC project :
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RiaDas/SoC
>
> The total project plan :
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerOfCode/2007/RiaDas
>
> Currently the code is without any try-except block. The Extractor.py
> currently converts man pages to HTML pages using the man2html command.
> But I am not being able to figure out any such ready-made tool for
> info pages, can anyone give me any suggestion about this?
>
> In the current project plan, I am keeping all man and info pages as
> static HTML pages. A simple web interface will show the pages
> according to different fedora releases. The interface will also have a
> simple option see diff of the same man pages of different releases
> (here i am confused to decide whether to show the diff between roff
> files or the generated HTML files). My choice : roff files.

I guess it depends on who the audience is for the diff?

If it is end-users, they want it a 'plain' format, so they are not
seeing markup, etc.

Developers might want a more technical (full diff), instead of a diff of
the content.

There are tools for showing the difference between the _content_ of XML
files.  Maybe something like that?

   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project