Self-Introduction: Ville-Pekka Vainio (and something about my summer project)

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Fri Jun 8 07:13:40 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have already been doing Finnish translations and hanging out in #fedora-docs
for a while, but I haven't posted a self-introduction yet, so here it is.

I'm a Computer Science major at the University of Helsinki. During the
academic year I live in Helsinki but now during the summer I'll be staying at
my parent's place in Kuopio, Eastern Finland. The time zone here is EEST,
that's UTC + 3.

I have just finished all the courses required for a B.Sc. degree, I will
officially graduate in the fall and then begin my M.Sc. studies.

I have used Fedora since FC2, Fedora was also the first distribution I've ever
installed. I installed Fedora just because I really liked using the Linux
installation at the CS Department, which was and still is Fedora based.

I've been in the Translation Project for bit more than a year now, doing GUI
translations. I joined originally because I wanted pirut in Finnish, but I
think I've done some translations to nearly every module there is in
translation CVS during this time.

Translating documentation to Finnish is also the reason I joined the Docs
project. I translated release-notes, about-fedora, readme and
readme-burning-isos for Fedora 7 and contributed to the homepage translation.

Besides Fedora, I've also done Finnish translations for CMS Made Simple
<http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/> and KDE. I'm closely following the LinuxTV
and VDR projects, since I'm running a personal video recorder box based on
FC6 and those projects. Two of my remote control related patches have made it
to kernel via the LinuxTV project :)

I first started programming about 10 years ago and have been doing it more
actively for the last five or six years. The languages I know best are Java,
C and C++, Python and PHP.

Here's my GPG fingerprint:

pub   1024D/00E249C3 2007-03-16 [expires: 2008-03-15]
      Key fingerprint = 7BEE AC1C 3E2C B29F F9D1  2ED7 CB89 F00F 00E2 49C3
uid                  Ville-Pekka Vainio <vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi>
sub   2048g/F68EB3FD 2007-03-16 [expires: 2008-03-15]

Then something about my summer project. I was chosen to take part in an event
called Summercode Finland 2007. The basic idea is similar to GSoC, but as the
name suggests, this is for Finnish university students. The event is
organized by COSS, The Finnish Centre for Open Source Solutions.

My project is about extending MoinMoin to support publication and editing of
man/info pages. The initial idea came from FedoraBounties and Karsten, who's
also mentoring me during this project.

Here are some links about the project:
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerOfCode/2007/VillePekkaVainio> - My
project page at Fedora Wiki

<http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/SummercodeFinland2007> - My project page at
Moin wiki, this will propably be more about technical details than the Fedora
wiki page.

<http://www.coss.fi/web/coss/developers/summercode> - Summercode Finland main
page

My IRC nick is vpv and I'm usually in #fedora-docs. Feel free to contact me,
my intention is to work closely with both Fedora and Moin communities.

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio
vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi