FDS

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 19:28:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 11:16 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 21:16 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > for good reasons.)  Not to mention that none of these Red Hat documents
> > are licensed in a compatible way content-wise.
>
> IIRC, the content is licensed under the OPL without restrictions.  Red
> Hat made sure that our control over the copyright was enough to do this,
> or we made separate arrangements with the other copyright holders (Sun,
> AOL).
>
> The problem is not the license but the notable absence of source XML.

The wiki says the best documentation is at rh.c/docs/manuals/dir-server,
where I find this (the Administrator's Guide, for example):

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/titlepg.html

OPL + restrictions.

> > FDS is a weird subproject that hasn't received a lot of love from the
> > community, and has been more of a "throw it over the wall" contribution,
> > albeit a really cool one.
>
> I think it is much more than that, it is quite active, and all the
> development of the enterprise product happens on the tip of CVS in
> cvs.fedoraproject.org.  The problem seems to be more of knitting
> together the existing FDS community with the Fedora community.  Not
> quite as hard as the idea of knitting jboss.org and Fedora, but still
> something that needs to be done deliberately.
>
> Being close physically to the FDS team and having at one time been the
> lead content writer for that team, I'd be happy to work on this
> knitting.  Umm, sometime.  Soon, maybe even, if we have an imperative.

I don't know about imperative, but perhaps this is just a matter of lots
of people still doing very useful and cool work, but none of them
writers now.  The RH docs are great, but very little for FDS seems to be
helpful from a hands-on perspective.  Only about a million or so
sysadmins would like to see cookbooks for providing FDS services for
their heterogeneous networks!  There's probably a great place for that
in FDP if we ever have someone with the requisite KSAs and writing
time...  (Not pointing in Karsten's direction since he's already working
on a *lot* of stuff.)