Self-Introduction / Fedora Translation Project

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 00:51:29 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 14:44 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 15:09 +0100, John Charron wrote:
> > Self-Introduction: John Charron - Fedora Translation Project
>
> Hola John,
>
> > Linux and Fedora are relatively new to me and so is ICT. As
> > translator, I don't yet know what aspects of the Fedora Project would
> > interest me most. Although the translation of material related to my
> > areas of specialization interests me (programs for amateur and
> > professional musicians, electronic dictionaries, translation software,
> > applications for foreign language training, etc.), I would also be
> > interested in translating more technical documentation on various
> > ICT-related topics. I will be studying computer science at the local
> > university here in Montpellier from September 2007 and would like my
> > work for the project to be both a contribution and a learning
> > experience.
>
> Excellent; you are starting in a good place within Fedora.  From here
> you'll be able to see into many places and decide what else is
> interesting to you.
>
> You may want to look into fedora-music-list; it's been mainly technical
> about e.g. Planet CCRMA.  One great thing about free software is how
> many people have talents and interests in other areas.  Always dynamic
> people doing interesting things!

Yes, and make sure you say howdy to Dimitris Glezos (IRC nick "glezos"),
who is involved with us, the Translation (L10N) project and
Infrastructure.  He may have some tips, advice, or just a good word of
the day. :-)

> > I am looking forward to participating in the Fedora Translation
> > Project and eager to becoming more involved in the Fedora community!
>
> Welcome!

Ditto!

> > P.S. - I need cvsdocs membership approval (see below) and may need
> > some help getting started as well. Many thanks.
>
> Done.  Thanks for the reminder, it sometimes takes us a while to notice
> people's requests.
>
> You'll also want to request access to the new 'cvsl10n' group; we are
> currently working on bringing documentation translation back into the
> Fedora infrastructure.  Keep your eyes open here and on
> fedora-trans-list for more details.

And feel free to ask questions here or in IRC (irc.freenode.net,
#fedora-docs).  Someone is almost always around to help.