Self-Introduction / Fedora Translation Project

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sun Mar 11 03:54:03 UTC 2007

O/H John Charron έγραψε:
> John, Karsten, Paul,
>
> Thanks for the warm welcome.
>
> I'm eager to get started, but having trouble getting access to the
> documents to be translated. I must be missing something here.

Hey John.

A big "Welcome!" from me too. I hope you have a great time with us folks. :-)

> I was able to 'take' the "French (France) timezones" translation at
> http://i18n.redhat.com/cgi-bin/i18n-status using the login and PIN sent
> to me via email a couple of weeks ago by
> fedora-trans-list-owner at redhat.com

So, this raises the Ultimate Question: How many accounts/passwords do we use in
Fedora?

 1. Fedora Account System & password for SSH key
 2. Wiki & password
 3. i18n system
 4. i18n Take/Apply web & pin (I didn't even remember having this one...)
 5. Mailing lists & several passwords

Anything I forget?

> <mailto:fedora-trans-list-owner at redhat.com>, however I then 'released'
> it because I would like to have a look at it before taking it. The
> problem I'm having is from the terminal. This is what I get when I enter
> the following commands (from translator's quick start guide):
>
> [linux at localhost ~]$ export CVS_RSH=ssh
> [linux at localhost ~]$ export
> CVSROOT=:ext:fcrhuser at i18n.redhat.com:/usr/local/CVS
> [linux at localhost ~]$ cvs -z9 co translate/
> Connection closed by 66.187.233.241 <http://66.187.233.241/>
> cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages
> if any)
> [linux at localhost ~]$

You have to substitute substitute the username 'fcrhuser' with the username you
acquired from the following page:

  http://i18n.redhat.com/cgi-bin/i18n-signup/

So, to make it simple, we have two systems: The above one (i18n.redhat.com) and
the Fedora Account System. You will use the second one in most cases. Only for
translations, you will have to use the i18n one.

> I read the FAQ and some other documentation, but just can't figure out
> what's missing or not quite right. I don't really understand the
> procedure and how this system of accessing documents works yet. Could
> somebody give me a hand?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> John
>
> P.S. - I've also tried figuring out how to use IRC to chat on
> #fedora-docs, but haven't had any success yet. I'll do some more
> searching and googling though...

Open `xchat`, connect on the Freenode network and join #fedora-docs. If you have
any questions, you can contact me on the Jabber network ('glezos at jabber.org') or
even msn ('dimitris at glezos.com').

Have fun! :-)

-d