translation theory question

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Tue Mar 13 23:43:10 UTC 2007

O/H Karsten Wade έγραψε:
> I was wondering ... would it be desireable to be able to flag a chunk of
> content as, "Don't retranslate"?
>
> The case I'm thinking of is where a small change in the source language
> fixes punctuation, grammar, or style without affecting the meaning.  The
> current translation tools flag that section as fuzzy or untranslated,
> after the change is made.
>
> I can do this manually by diffing the two POT files, finding the changed
> msgid sections, and sending out a note not to bother translating those
> msgids.  But that throws off the automagic tools that say how much needs
> to be translated, etc.

I agree with Paul in general.

However, if we are talking about the Release Notes in particular (huuuge with
huuuuge strings) then as a translator I think that a diff file would be very useful.

How? Well, if one large string is added a comma, it becomes fuzzy but this minor
change isn't shown in kbabel (and friends). You can't tell what has changed
since the last version. Instead of reading through the whole paragraph *and* the
translated one (in parallel) (basically, re-translating), it would be more quick
if I had the answer one "Alt-Tab + /<start-of-msgid>" away.

So, I think some translators would appreciate the diff file, or a list of
msgid's from the POT that have had only minor changes.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/