[Fedora Project Wiki] Update of "Docs/Drafts/DesktopUserGuide/Desktops" by JohnBabich

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Sun May 20 16:57:32 UTC 2007

On 5/20/07, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 07:20 +0300, John Babich wrote:
> > I have been suffering from "analysis paralysis", also known as "writer's
> > block". That's why I decided to go with a "brain dump" to get the creative
> > juices flowing.
> >
> > At the same time, it was a bit upsetting to have this doc critiqued rather
> > heavily while clearly in the early stages (at least in my mind). It's
> > like trying
> > to write a song and somebody comes along and says, "Hey, dude, your
> > instrument's out of tune".
>
> Sorry I broke your momentum.  (I did remove the name from the commit to
> protect the innocent, but you outed yourself!) ;-)  I was hoping someone
> -- preferably a lurker volunteer -- would see the note and say, "hey, I
> could help correct those kinds of problems," and hop in to help.  We'll
> see if that happens...
>
> I picked up a lot of the style and composition tips I posted while
> working on this very project as a new user.  There are good reasons to
> take a more objective approach in writing, and you, I, and other writers
> can keep these things in mind as we write.  But if you're simply trying
> to beef up content quickly, there's no reason to spend a lot of time
> self-editing, to be sure.  In other words, you can look at those
> criticisms, and say to yourself, "Great, I'll look at that once I've
> finished dumping raw content."

No problem :-)

I was a bit touchy because I was doing quite a bit of thinking out loud.
I should have put up a warning sign that this was in a very rough state.

You know we agree on proper style and composition. My next step is to
complete the outline and invite others to join in.

John Babich
Volunteer, Fedora Docs Project