overview

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 20:43:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 00:10 +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> The first four paragraphs slightly modified of the Overview page in
> fedora.  Reference to the base version is
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/overview . The bit below is my
> additions/manipulations.  Thoughts would be great.

BTW, another way to do this is to put a draft page up in your personal
wiki namespace (MarcWiriadisastra/Drafts/Overview).  Then you can put in
the original content, save it, then modify, save that, and capture the
difference between the two:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MarcWiriadisastra/Drafts/Overview?action=diff&rev2=2&rev1=1

A diff provides exactly what changed and the context of it.

In this case I just did a full edit of the original page a few days ago,
so I can do a mental diff. :)  For that matter, I could do the reverse
here and provide you a diff of your original against my edits, but what
the heck, I'll try to do them inline. :)

> ////////////////////Overview///////////////////////////////////////////
> An operating system, a set of projects, and a mindset.
>
> What is Fedora? Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that showcases
> the latest in free and open source software. Sponsored by Red Hat who
> aid in developing new and exciting <a
> href="technologyhttp://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RedHatContributions"
> Contributions>. Fedora is always free for anyone to use, modify, and
[:RedHatContributions:technology contributions]
> distribute. It is built by people across the globe who work together as
> a community: the Fedora Project. The Fedora Project is open and anyone
> is welcome to join. The Fedora Project is out front for you, leading the
> advancement of free, open software and content.
>
> The operating system is Fedora. The predictable bi-yearly releases and
> the continuing support for over twelve months are able to show you the
                 community support ... months show the users and
supporters ...
> users and supporters the latest advancements available in the open
> software world. It's completely free, and we're committed to keeping it
                                     [:Objectives:committed]
> that way. It's the best combination of robust and latest software that
> exists in the free software world.
>
> The mindset is doing the right thing. To us, that means providing free,
> innovative open software content, at no cost, freely usable, modifiable,
> redistributable, and unencumbered by software patents.
>
> Our partnership and sponsorship by Red Hat has enabled us to provide
                                     ... Hat enables us to provide ...
> quality open software content to the community.  This open software is
> providing benefits to millions of users around the globe with software
> contributions such as SELinux, Xen Virtualization and Smolt to name a
                                                   , and ...
> few. The expansion of architectures have provided support for Sparc,
> Alpha, IA64 and Arm with many more to follow.
             , and ...
> The strong participation with the community of volunteers have helped to
                                                            has
> create improvements in the way you install and maintain Fedora. Some
> notable additions from the community have been Revisor, pungi and the
                                                               , and
> livecd-tools where you can create your personal spin of Fedora.
>
> //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>
> There are a few bits there where I think I might have gone to far.
> Please critique as to whether I should cut some out and put it in other
> places.

Is this the entirety of the page as you envision it?  Or is this just
the section that appears above the table of contents?

Presuming this is just replacing those first four and leaving the rest
intact.  One thing is to pull out later references to what is mentioned
here (SELinux, Xen); I'm working on a new section for the Board that is
better than the one that mentions those technologies.

I wonder how it would read to put the community paragraph above the Red
Hat paragraph.  Another thing to keep in mind is that Red Hat is just
another community member, albeit the one with the most investment and
most to lose.  So it makes sense to highlight RHT's contributions as a
community member in a secondary position.  We also want to take care
here because there are other corporate community members who contribute
to Fedora, so we don't want to turn this into a Red Hat advertisement.
I know Red Hat has lent us credibility in the past, but things are
balancing where the credibility is going both ways.

> I'm hoping the page(Fedora Feature Overview) that is being discussed on
> the marketing list will get completed so that can be linked somewhere
> within this document.

Yes, that is a good idea.  Better to link than to list them yet
again ...

Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41