Self-Introduction: Murray McAllister

Murray murray.mcallister at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 02:12:32 UTC 2007

Hi,

My name is Murray McAllister, I've just moved to Brisbane (Australia) to
start my new job with Red Hat Asia Pacific as a content author.

I'm really keen to contribute into open source but finding it a bit hard
since I'm not a developer.  I was then blessed with this job and thought
it would be a great opportunity to be able to give something back to
open source.

My goals in the Fedora Project:

- contribute as much as I can.  I think some small tutorials (perhaps
network configuration, user management (system-config-users/useradd,
groupadd etc), permissions would be a good start/practice.

I am currently writing errata for RHEL 5, perhaps I could use what I
have learned there to help in areas of the Fedora Project (release notes
perhaps?).  I have done a lot of work with BIND so maybe once I settle
in I could start contributing more in that area (perhaps larger tutorials).

- one of my 'goals' within Red Hat is to document 3 open source writing
tools.  Perhaps I could somehow combine that with a project for Fedora.

I'd like to think I have good computer skills.  I have been using Linux
for 4-5 years (started with Red Hat 9, have played with SuSE, Debian,
Slackware) with my main distributions being Ubuntu and Fedora (currently
learning RHEL 5).

My main interest is Linux, networking and security.  After finishing
school I worked in 7 schools doing network support.  That was for 9
months, then for 1 year I worked as a network administrator where I was
contracted out to 6-7 corporate customers.  Then I scored my dream job
in open source, which is why I'm here now.

In my spare time I have no life to speak of so I try to fill the void
with work or study (usually networking, but now leaning more towards
anything Linux) :)

It would be a lie to say I'm a great writer, in fact before I joined Red
Hat I really had no writing experience at all (well I still don't ;)).
I wrote a fairly long paper on DNS and BIND, but that is about it.  I
was hoping I would be able to learn more at Red Hat, improve my writing,
and then be able to contribute back into the community - hopefully there
is a place for me here!

If there is anything else anyone would like to know, please don't
hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,

Murray.

pub   1024D/81B3FDEB 2007-09-19 [expires: 2008-09-18]
     Key fingerprint = 4ED9 9907 5BF0 4132 2B46  20D1 C0C6 362D 81B3
FDEB uid Murray McAllister (Fedora Docs Project / mdious)
<murray.mcallister at gmail.com>
sub   2048g/B04CFA0C 2007-09-19 [expires: 2008-09-18]