Self Introduction: Ryan Lerch

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 01:40:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:10:22PM +1000, ryan lerch wrote:
> Full Name:
> Ryan John Lerch
>
> Location:
> Brisbane, Australia (UTC+10)
>
> Personal Goals for Fedora Docs:
> My motivation for joining the fedora docs team is to learn more about
> fedora, tech writing and documentation toolchaining while being able to give
> something back to the community. However, I am a little unsure how I would
> like to (or can) contribute to the fedora-docs project. The first area that
> jumps out at me is the Desktop User Guide (?Fedora User Guide?)

Hi Ryan!  We're overjoyed you could join us.  The User Guide is a
great place to start working.  I think there are some areas that still
need wordsmithing and checking.  We do have a Style Guide that we use
for keeping a consistent voice:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/StyleGuide

So if you wanted to look through that, you could try to match the
voice of some of the un-edited chapters/pages with the ones that are
already done.  There is a Fedora 8 branch and a Fedora 9 branch so you
could either work on the known quantity (F8) or the next-generation
version.

> Historical qualifications:
> Other projects that I help out on are Inkscape (http://inkscape.org/) and
> The openclipart library (http://openclipart.org/) Over at Inkscape, I help
> out with writing docs and tutorials, bug triaging and responding to the
> question tracker. I finished my Bachelor of Information Technology majoring
> in Software Engineering and Multimedia in 2003. I'm a fairly new fedora user
> (< 12 months) so I hope i can provide an insight for other new users after
> making the switch to a free and open source operating system.

Ooo, an art guy!  Hopefully you've already found the Artwork Project,
too, then.  I know your Brisbane location makes it harder to hook up
with USA folks dueo the timezone difference.  But if you're boggled by
where to start, drop by IRC Freenode (irc.freenode.net) at channel
#fedora-docs and we'll be happy to help get you started.