Introduction - John McDonough

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Thu Aug 28 18:04:31 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karsten 'quaid' Wade" <kwade at redhat.com>
To: <fedora-docs-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: Introduction - John McDonough

> Do you think of the open source methodology as a
> new/different approach?
>
> Just curious, rather off-topic but an interest of mine. :)

Actualy, I've noodled that some, and wondered how/where to poke my nose in
to study it further.

Much like CMM, Six Sigma techniques as applied to software development can
be somewhat liberating for developers, and can make them far more effective,
but there is a hump to get over that, like CMM, requires strong management
commitment.  I don't see how that could be done in a FOSS environment, but I
also haven't looked too hard (yet).  Six Sigma in particular is also all
about metrics, and developers and metrics mix about as well as oil and
water.  Still, few people seem to respond as well to improvements in
productivity as developers, especially when they can see it in those numbers
they abohr. (Go figure).

I do see fertile fields in some of the peripheral areas of the process,
though.  The whole feature vetting process, for example, seems like an
obvious candidate.  Communications also has to be a prominent target.  But I
need to personally get much more of the process internalized before I can
take out my stick and poke around a bit <g>

--McD