Fedora HW requirements

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Thu Dec 4 14:56:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 November 2008 22:13:52 Adam Pribyl wrote:
>
>> I know this is much
>> about the feeling, but recommended I would consider (looking into smolt
>> results) something around 2GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM.
>
> To my mind, you are confusing two entirely separate parameters.

I don't think so. If you check the specs page it is divided into to areas
Text-mode and Graphical. I think this divison is perfectly OK, and I was
mainly pointing at recommended stuff. The recommendation for graphical
install as PII400 with 256MB it's really not something I would recommend
to anybody for Fedora GUI usage. I am perfectly fine with the text-mode
minimums correspondig to server usege, where we can get to something as
weak as "you need i686" or higher procesor.

I think, what Karten wrote is good. The answer to his questions are
however not very satisfactory as IMHO there is nobody testing the minimum
for anaconda install (which is same for all the spins) or livecd install
and there is nowhere said the anaconda upgrade should end up within 5
hours for system to be considered as "usable". (This is by the way the
upgrade time for PIII800 512MB with 1071 rpms. Do you consider this
acceptable?)

Therefore I would stick to text-mode as a minimum where you are able to
install text-mode based system (more or less the anaconda requirement),
graphical as recommended something where Fedora default GUI should be
usable at (e.g. means OOo is able to open within 2 minutes without using
the swap :).

Adam Pribyl