Packaging Guidelines Organization

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 20:08:08 UTC 2008

Eric Christensen wrote:
> Toshio,
> So you basically need someone (or a group) to locate all the guidelines,
> make sure they represent what needs to be accomplished for a package,
> and then make a single page where all of the guidelines can be found
> with ease?

Maybe.  The end goal is that a reviewer or packager can easily find all
the Guidelines that they need to make a quality package.  The
organization comes in two parts:

1) It's not obvious where all the Guidelines are and they might not be
linked from obvious places.  I think the single page idea above could
help with that.

2) There's so many Guidelines and they won't all apply to every package.
 That's where the decision tree type of solution comes in.  (Or a table
of contents with "General Guidelines -- Check these for all packages"
"Libraries -- Check these if your package has a library in any language"
"Python -- Check these if the package is written in or interface with
Python")

Right now we have the Package Review Guidelines[1]_ sort of does #1 but
it isn't complete.  The Review Guidelines and Guidelines[2]_ pages kinda
reflect each other so they capture the main Guidelines.  But we still
need to add other information such as the language specific Guidelines
(examples: Python_ and Java_) and Scriptlets_ pages.

Working on only one of the two issues would be helpful but eventually we
need something that addresses both problems.

.. _[1]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines
.. _[2]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

.. _Python: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Python
.. _Java: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java