Update: Holiday Virtual Hackfest

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Dec 16 20:59:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 03:33:44PM -0500, Betty Harvey wrote:
> Where does the 'official version' of the documentation reside?  I would
> like to take a look and see what will be required for conversion.

One of our problems we are cleaning up is the spread of formal content
in multiple locations. :)

Wiki-based content should be in the [[Category:Documentation]] page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Documentation

When content is written natively in XML (Installation Guide) or
drafted in the wiki and converted to XML (User Guide, Release Notes),
it ends up on http://docs.fedoraproject.org.

The how-to do work in the Docs Project-related content is also
scattered; fixing that is another major project this month.  You can
find much of it here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Docs_Project

This is a bit outdated but has some good content:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/documentation-guide/en_US/

One difference, to answer an earlier question, is the DocBook
toolchain.  Previously we cooked our own from whatever was in Fedora,
xmlto and the passivetex chain for broken PDF.  We are now moving to
using a new upstream toolchain, Publican, which is used and maintained
by the Red Hat Content Services team.  Thus we can be downstream and
contributors instead of maintainers of our own chain.  We also still
use our older toolchain in some existing content, as part of the
transition.

https://fedorahosted.org/publican

So, the User Guide should be written to use Publican.

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41