Fedora User Guide

Matthew Daniels danielsmw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 01:04:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, N. James Bridge wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 17:42 -0500, Matthew Daniels wrote:
>> Fedora User Guide Update
>> ========================
>>
>> The user guide for Fedora 8 has been hidden within the
>> FedoraProject.org wiki for some time now.  It has finally been cleaned
>> up and placed neatly in its own page.  We have also added a User Guide
>> category under which future UGs should be located.
> Well, thank you, but it does appear a bit basic. Most apps come with
> documentation but some things really do need explaining - like sound.
> The Fedora desktop menus provide a volume control for ALSA (and OSS) and
> another one for PA. There is also a Sound Preferences window, the first
> tab of which bears little resemblance to what is described in the help
> file. Some of this stuff one can figure out by trial and error and
> playback seems to work reliably but recording is a different matter.
> --
> N. James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk>

Thank you for your suggestion.  This is something we can certainly keep in
mind as we move forward for our F9 and F10 User Guides.  If there are any
specific resources that you may have already found that could help out in
writing these sections, please let me know.

Also keep in mind that - although I can't vouch for this 100% - there are
probably more advanced articles on the Fedora wiki that address at least
some of these issues.  The User Guide is indended for the basic end user's
familiarization with Fedora, not for the detailed working of each
component.  Nonetheless, it would be wise for us to address a lack of
support for sound and audio if it exists.