Looking for Ideas on a User-friendly Join Process

David Nalley david.nalley at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 24 19:49:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Marc Ferguson.  I recently joined the websites group for Fedora
> Project and I've been assigned to help figure out a very universal and
> user-friendly way to tweak http://fedoraproject.org/en/join-fedora.  Can you
> please respond to this thread and let us know what your process is for
> people to join your group.  In the end we want to make sure we're all "on
> the same page" and that the joining process is much easier, thus increasing
> the contributors to the project.  Thanks.
>
> --
> Marc F.
>
> www.fergytech.com
>
> "..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
> -Rev1:4
> "When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide!" -Marc F.
>
> --

Hi Marc,

How interesting, John Poelstra and I were discussing the join page yesterday.

In general I really like the simplicity

One of my complaints is how high the bar is set - I'll pick on docs
for a minute - the listing there is for a content writer. That's
despite the fact that virtually none of the new contributor tasks are
content generating. The initial tasks are designed to get you familiar
with processes and Fedora, such as wiki Gardening, fact checking
documents.

That said, I don't know that I have a solution that allows you to
present the entry level work as simply as what's presented there.

Another thing is that functions like QA and BugTriage aren't really
represented. Admittedly they are listed under the OS Developer
section, but how many non-OS Developers are going to choose that to
see that Bug Triaging is an option. There are a number of projects
within Fedora that aren't prominently featured.

As I said, this is just my impression - I have no solutions to offer up.