Why aren't we linking to fedorahosted?

Paul Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 16:16:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:05 AM, Christopher Curran <ccurran at redhat.com> wrote:
> We have so many great projects on fedorahosted.org, many of which maintain
> their own documents.
>
> My question is why don't we have links to these projects? We should have a
> connection between them and the documentation on fedora.org
>
> And yes I am sticking my hand up, I just don't know how we would go about it
> or our reasons for not doing it at the moment.
>
> The other possible option is to talk to the package maintainers and host the
> documentation on fedora.org and have them link to us !

I'm assuming you mean http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ and not that
other site (which has no connection to the Fedora Project). :-)

I think that:

1. A link to fedorahosted.org makes sense to help people visiting
docs.fedoraproject.org -- or any *.fedoraproject.org, for that matter
-- find other projects they care about.  Maybe this is a question for
the websites team:  should the Hosted area be linked as part of the
quick links on our templates site-wide?  (Also, this indicates that
our docs site needs to have the same template as the rest of fp.o, but
I believe someone's already working on that, yes?)

2. Hosting all that documentation on docs.fedoraproject.org actually
decreases the likelihood it will be maintained -- the idea should be
to get docs people involved with helping the upstream projects, rather
than trying to swallow their documents into our own site. (It seems to
me that we've tried going down the latter road before, and shown that
we don't have the resources for that kind of maintenance.)

Paul