Wiki Business

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Fri Jul 11 12:02:31 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to ask the bot to copy changes in a set of
> categories/namespaces to a SIG mailing list?

Sorry, I'm a little bit lost on exactly what is been proposed so correct
me if I'm wrong...

I'm taking it that your asking for the bot to go through and copy the
wiki-diffs for pages in a specific category and then collate them and
mail them out.  Really this is a bit beyond what any wiki bot normally
does, HOWEVER, you can use the API from memory to collate this information.

Luke did a brilliant application to collate the top 10 wiki contributors
in any 500 edit-period - http://dpaste.com/61536/

Documentation for the Revision API component can be grabbed at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Query_-_Properties#revisions_.2F_rv

Also take a look at my reply to Max with the type of tasks that I had in
mind for the wikibot, the main thing is, we need it to keep interwiki
links up to date (we can't expect people to go through 5+ wikis to make
sure every interwiki link is correct), so while it's not doing
interwikis it can do other tasks such as fixing syntax etc.

- Nigel