wiki2xml page drafted

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 01:57:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 06:48 +0900, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> I thought there were scripts to have the emphasis found etc or am I
> dreaming?

Sort of.  There are some clean-up scripts we had for the release notes,
which may be a bit stale:

cvs.fedoraproject.org:/cvs/docs/release-notes/devel/xmlbeats

The problem with fixing up tags is that it cannot be automated.  For
example, when you have a tag like this in the XML:

<emphasis>foo</emphasis>

... that renders as italics: /foo/.  But what is it?  According to our
technical markup rules:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing#Marking_Technical_Terms

... italics represent multiple contexts that in DocBook would be:

<guimenu>
<guisubmenu>
<guimenuitem>
<guilabel>
<firstterm>
<glossterm>
etc.

All of this is covered here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Wiki2XML#Wiki_markup_output_to_XML,_mapped_to_DocBook_XML

The only way to be sure of what is marked up properly is to follow these
steps:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Wiki2XML#Processing_DocBook_Pages

... which I just added to the pages.  Summary -- go through each file,
doing search and manual replace.

It's really not so bad to do, although it sounds like it is. :)

Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41