docs questions

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Mar 15 01:35:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 12:27 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 18:58 +0900, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> > > >

> > This brings up my next question. Is there a standard that we use like
> > when we work on the wiki? Like all info's will be 'x' and all warnings
> > 'y'?
>
> There are essentially two standards now, because of the way the wiki's
> DocBook conversion works as opposed to human readability.  If you are
> writing a page that is drafted on the wiki but intended to go to CVS,
> the way to do an admonition is:
>
> [[Admonition("<type>", "<title>", "<brief_content>")]]
>
> For <type> you would subsitute the admonition type, such as "info,"
> "warning," etc.  This type of admonition looks terrible (basically it
> will look just like the text above in the viewed wiki page), but can be
> programmatically converted to DocBook when you choose that function on
> the wiki sidebar.

Does that actually work in the 1.6 code?  Nope, don't think it does:

<para>
[[Admonition("note","x86 Kernel Includes Kdump","Both the x86_64 and the
i686 kernels are relocatable, so they no longer require a separate
kernel for kdump capability. PPC64 still requires a separate kdump
kernel.")]]
</para>

The other day I told Murray to go ahead and make the pretty ones that
follow the actual wiki convention (more on this below).  This is because
they look fine on the screen *and* they make a consistent output in the
XML that we can search for.

> The second way of doing it, which *cannot* be reliably converted but
> which looks good to wiki users:
>
> ||<tableclass="message <type>"> Put your content here. ||
>
> The <type> here might be a little different -- I ran out of time to find
> the CSS style sheet that would probably give hints.

That is a limited set created by Dimitris and does *not* have coverage
for all five of the DocBook admonition types.

The actual proper method to follow right now, since it seems clear we
are converting to MediaWiki, is this method:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing#Admonitions

You know, unless I'm missing something ... :)

Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41