Intro, Revised and Reformulated

Zachary Hamed zachfedora at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 05:16:30 UTC 2008

EDIT: Sorry, I just read the Fedora requirements for this introduction
email, so I'm resending my previous one with corrections. Please
disregard my previous email, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi everyone,
My name is Zachary Hamed, Zach for short, and I live in the New York
City area, USA. I'm a sophomore (grade 10) high school student at
Collegiate School, and I got interested in Linux in general about a
year ago. I tried OpenSUSE and found the installation to be a huge
pain, so I switched to Fedora and have been using it ever since
(dual-booting with Vista (1) because of school work and (2) because I
can't get my Broadcom WiFi card to work with Fedora 8...grr...). I
also just finished reading two books about Linux and the Open Source
movement (Rebel Code: Inside Linux and the Open Source Revolution, by
Glyn Moody, and Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental
Revolutionary, by Linus Tovalds and David Diamond, both of which I
highly recommend).

I have a bit of programming experience. I can program pretty well in
BASIC, and my dad is a computer programmer for a living. I'm also in
the process of learning Ruby (and Rails for that matter). I've written
a book on computers (www.joiningthedigitalworld.com) that I edited
completely by myself, and of which I've sold about 200-250 copies
(available on Amazon, BarnesAndNoble.com, and other retailers online).
I'm now working on a project called Ease of Tech (www.easeoftech.com),
which is kind of an Adobe AIR type overlay system to an OS...can't
really get into it in detail here.

In terms of what I would like to do for the Fedora Project, I can't
really contribute much to the coding side, but I would love to help
out in any way I can (I know it'll look good on the college
applications; hoping to go to MIT!). Additionally, I am a very good
English student (not my favorite subject, but I do well), so I would
like to edit as many documents as I can, and I can even write some
docs on newbie things (as I am one anyway). One thing I think is
lacking for the documentation project is some kind of complete guide
for complete newcomers to Linux. Ubuntu has been attracting a lot more
users because of this, and I think Fedora could be a real alternative
to Mac and Windows for older people if they had a comprehensive guide
to just about everything up until the post-install period—it's also
something I wouldn't mind working on.

I think I'm a good match for the project because I'm a hard worker, am
good in English (and getting better with programming), and really want
to contribute to the community.

I looked over the Style Guide and the associated rules, most to all of
which I am familiar with (my school has a grammar proficiency test
every year which I always pass, thought it's pass/fail so I can't
share any grades with you). Again, it would be great for me to be
another step in the editing process, or to even make a guide of my
own.

Can anyone tell me where I go from here? What you guys are doing so
far? I should get the gist of it once I get daily mailing list
digests, but just in case...

Thanks,
Zach

P.S. This email is in no way representative of my "formal writing"
writing style; I had to rant and use parentheses a bit more than I
usually do.

P.P.S. I'm still new to the idea of signing emails with this key. I
submitted the key (or what I think was a key) to pgp.mit.edu, but is
the stuff below in the correct format? I saw what format it *should*
be in on the Fedora intro-email page, but I don't want to screw up and
send out my private key, because apparently that would be really bad.
All I did below was paste the text copied when I right-clicked on my
key and selected "Copy Public Key" (this is in "Passwords and
Encrypted Keys").