Publican requires KDE?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 14:32:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 11:59 +0000, Keith Sharp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that Publican (0.3.0 from Rawhide) has a
> BuildRequires/Requires for kdesdk.  I don't use any other KDE software
> and this requirement causes a huge additional download on my system.
> Could someone explain why Publican needs this packages and if there is
> any way this could be avoided?

Being a GNOME user myself, I'm not thrilled by this either -- the right
answer may be as simple as tweaking the packaging of kdesdk to provide a
subpackage on which we can depend instead.  I'd imagine the binaries we
need are /usr/bin/xml2pot and /usr/bin/po2xml from that package, maybe
tied up in kdesdk-i18n or something like that.

Jeff Fearn should be around on the list -- Jeff, how close did I come
there to the right answer? :-)