building the release notes rpm

Paul Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 23:40:10 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Murray McAllister
<murray.mcallister at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Looking at the schedule (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Schedule):
>
>  *  31 March 2008: PO files due from L10N
>
>  Preview Release translation & development freeze
>
>  1 April 2008: fedora-release-notes package PR to Fedora release engineering
>
>  Is this by April 1, or can it be UTC 2359 April 1?

All times listed on our schedules are always UTC 2359 on the listed
date.  So if you're looking for that extra time, it's there! :-)

>  Do I have to do anything more, other than build it, and check it back into CVS?

Just the building, but I will probably need to be around to help you
with that, in case something goes awry.

>  What happens if a translation messes up the build? Is there time for
>  the translator to fix it?

Not really, but sometimes the errors are simple, like a mistyped XML
tag, meaning we can fix them ourselves.  (You have to use a decent
PO-aware tool, like... oh, Emacs! Gosh, is there nothing it can't do?)
:-)

In cases where the problem is *really* egregious, we have to disable
the translation in question and notify the translator so they can fix
it before GA.  That rarely happens -- except when translators fail to
translate the entities in docs-common, but in that case we can simply
enter empty PO files and build anyway, notifying the translators of
the need to take care of it in the next few weeks.

Paul