Tasks to do?

Is there a list of stuff that needs to get done?  I'd love to be able
to grab a task from a list when I have an unplanned hour or two to
spend (like tonight).

Is there anything like the equivalent to the discussion page in
wikipedia/media wiki?  It might make things easier for newbies like me
if we can look at a  page with notes on what's been done and what
still needs to be done especially if it  is stored with the actual
document.