Re: Persistent overlay?

> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 13:22 +0300, John Babich wrote:

> >> How about "permanent storage"?
> >
> > Tough call -- because the space is used for differences in the whole
> > file system, not just data storage.  So a 512 MB overlay doesn't mean
> > the user can store 512 MB of data, especially if they start changing the
> > package complement.
>
> Any other suggestions please?

I'm not sure whether changing this midstream is a great idea.  After
all, the "persistence" and "persistent overlay" were terms I described
repeatedly and consistently with every one of the dozen or more
interviews I gave for Fedora 9.  If we change this we risk making things
*more* confusing for users who are pursuing the links from the highly
digg'd stories such as from lifehacker.org.  From a strategy
perspective, one generally doesn't want to send a bunch of media
messages, and then change the terminology afterward.