[Fedora Installation Guide] #24: Decide what titles/roles to apply to workers for IG and add that to rpminfo.xml

Fedora Installation Guide trac at fedorahosted.org
Sat Nov 1 16:25:35 UTC 2008

#24: Decide what titles/roles to apply to workers for IG and add that to
rpminfo.xml
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  ke4qqq   |       Owner:  quaid
      Type:  task     |      Status:  new
 Component:  Content  |     Version:  10.0.0
Resolution:           |    Keywords:
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Comment (by pfrields):

 I would personally prefer that we remove all names (and thus the onerous
 concept of "ownership") from all our guides, and simply refer to them as
 written by the "Fedora Documentation Team."  I started doing this a while
 ago with some of the other documentation like the Release Notes, even
 though Karsten and I were doing a lot of editing work there.

 The concept of ownership in FOSS projects where you're trying to increase
 team membership and cohesiveness is a touchy one.  I like the idea of
 putting a colophon or appendix in our guides to give credit where credit
 is due, but keeping the title page clean.  Otherwise, we'd really have to
 include a ton of names there where it just means more scrolling and
 difficulty to read.  I for one would be happy to relinquish having my name
 on the title page to make the document seem more like a team effort.  If
 someone puts my name somewhere else in the document showing my
 contributions, great -- and if not, that's fine too!

 Also, another note about usability and readability of the document -- see
 how the very important version/release info gets lost on this page:
 http://docs.fedoraproject.org/translation-quick-start-guide/en_US/
 Readers need that info to file bugs on the document, and concealing it
 under long lists of people exponentially decreases the chance that someone
 will file the bug correctly.

 By the way, copyrights are not a problem -- using the standard "Copyright
 (C) 20XX Red Hat, Inc. and others" allows us to track it properly.  This
 copyright statement is in legal agreement with the CLA, and protects the
 rights of everyone in the Fedora Project who contributes to the
 documentation.  It doesn't make Red Hat's contributions or rights more
 important, it's simply a shorthand that makes it easier for Red Hat to
 protect the entire team's rights under copyright.

--
Ticket URL: <https://fedorahosted.org/install-guide/ticket/24#comment:1>
Fedora Installation Guide <https://fedorahosted.org/install-guide/>