[Fedora Installation Guide] #24: Decide what titles/roles to apply to workers for IG and add that to a new Colophon

Fedora Installation Guide trac at fedorahosted.org
Sun Nov 2 02:44:05 UTC 2008

#24: Decide what titles/roles to apply to workers for IG and add that to a new
Colophon
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  ke4qqq   |       Owner:  quaid
      Type:  task     |      Status:  new
 Component:  Content  |     Version:  10.0.0
Resolution:           |    Keywords:
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Comment (by ke4qqq):

 While I agree that there are several problems with 'ownership' of a
 document such as:
 *it creates 'superstars'
 *it excludes others, particularly newbs.

 I even agree that the proper method to give credit (which even the style
 guide agrees with) is a colophon at the end.

 That said - I don't want to completely obliterate 'credit' from any
 document. One of the few currencies in a meritocracy is recognition of
 peers and outsiders for that matter. I think ESR's 'Homesteading the
 Noosphere' is an excellent treatise that discusses that phenomenon. I
 don't think that's the intention particularly since you mention a
 colophon. However reading the first paragraph out of context could lead to
 that conclusion. For some people who have attained 'stickster-level' or
 'quaid-ness' the name listing on yet another document probably doesn't
 matter. However to a newb for whom a given document may be their first
 'published work' or first OSS contribution that listing is very valuable -
 it's the flag they've planted saying they're a contributor.

--
Ticket URL: <https://fedorahosted.org/install-guide/ticket/24#comment:3>
Fedora Installation Guide <https://fedorahosted.org/install-guide/>