moving content off of the draft wiki

Christopher Curran ccurran at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 07:07:05 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 02:02:22PM +1000, Murray McAllister wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I think there are some great documents on /wiki/Docs/Drafts/, but
>> these are hard to find:
>>
>> 1. <http://fedoraproject.org/>
>> 2. Click "Docs"
>> 3. I might be impatient, but I can't actually find the link to the
>> drafts (I know it is there somewhere though)
>> 4. phail :-)
>>
>> Ubuntu:
>>
>> 1. http://www.ubuntu.com/
>> 2. support -> documentation
>> 3. Admire pretty list of documentation that desktop users and
>> non-Linux people probably want to know.
>>
>> openSuSE:
>>
>> 1. http://www.opensuse.org/en/
>> 2. Click Discover it
>> 3. Click Documentation (lots of clutter, but I found it easy to find).
>> 4. Nice list of links. Looks pretty
>> <http://en.opensuse.org/Documentation> rocks!
>>
>> It seems the Fedora process is too formal and too hung up on having
>> 'professional documentation', that all the useful information gets
>> left behind on wiki drafts where people aren't going to look. Maybe
>> instead of the fedora admin guide , the drafts sections could be
>> turned into mini howtos?
>>
>> Sorry if I sound grumpy :-)
>>
>> I would be happy to convert
>> <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/AdministrationGuide/Permissions>
>> to DocBook if it could be placed somewhere other than in the drafts
>> section.
>>

> You don't think it might have a little something to do with the fact
> that both of the companies behind those distros employ full-time docs
> people for their free distros?  :-)
>
> It is, in fact, a wiki, and people can put documentation where they
> want to.  If you're interested in putting up a mini-HOWTO on
> permissions, whether it came from there or not, please feel free!
>
> The idea of a larger administration guide is something our
> contributors have wanted to do -- the problem being that people come
> in with the idea of doing a huge guide, and when they realize it's a
> LOT of work, they get overwhelmed.  Which is why we've always
> encouraged people to do small documents until they get the hang of the
> workload and processes that produce good docs.
>
> Hope *I* don't sound too grumpy. ;-)

I think the original posters point was that the docs are hard to find.
All of the examples link to a vast swathe of documentation from their
docs links. The fedora docs page looks like this:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ . There is nothing there by comparison.
There are lots of documents in the Draft document section of the wiki
which are more than up to scratch to go there instead. Can't we just put
all the documents there by default and then cut the docs that aren't
good enough to a "needs work" section or something. There should be no
reason to write a howto in the first place the docs should just be there.

The real question is there anything to be gained by the present system
over having all our documentation available from the
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ link. I can't see any real reasons. Have
a look at the ubuntu docs page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/)
That's a pretty comprehensive set of links. We have most of those topics
covered in our wiki but they aren't linked from our docs page.

Chris